Nowadays, people have been opting and searching for natural remedies, including herbs that increase testosterone.
What is Testosterone?
Testosterone is a natural male hormone that promotes muscle growth and development of the male reproductive system, and plays a crucial part in the regulation of sex drive and sperm production, as well as in the maintenance of sexual performance. Because of aging, natural levels of testosterone gradually decrease. However, there are also medical conditions that decrease testosterone count even in middle-aged men, such as autoimmune diseases, Type 2 diabetes, obesity, and chronic liver or kidney disease.
Low testosterone level could cause low libido, erectile dysfunction, lowered sperm count, depression, loss of muscle mass, and decrease in bone strength. There are ways to increase testosterone such as getting Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) through injections, implants, pellets, and patches. However, TRT poses risks such as the potential for heart disease, sleep apnea, low sperm count, and shrinking of the testicles. Continuous use of testosterone is also potentially carcinogenic.
Fortunately, there are other natural methods including doing high-intensity interval training, avoiding alcoholic beverages, getting enough sleep, and using herbs that increase testosterone. Among these methods, using herbs is the best option because it’s more effective than the other natural methods, and is less risky than TRT.
Herbs do not just add testosterone into the body. Instead, they help the body make testosterone. Here are the top three Asian herbs that increase testosterone.
This natural aphrodisiac and traditional medical plant which is scientifically known as Eurycoma Longifolia, and more commonly known as Tongkat Ali or Pasak Bumi, can be found in Malaysia, Indonesia, and in some parts of Vietnam, Thailand, and Laos.
- The Tongkat Ali root contains the bioactive compounds, like alkaloids and quassinoids, which provide the medicinal values of the herb. The benefits of Tongkat Ali include increase in testosterone which is important in promoting good overall health. It also enhances male fertility by increasing libido, sperm count and quality, and by promoting more powerful ejaculations.
- Aside from benefits in sexual health, Tongkat Ali also helps in bodybuilding by increasing lean mass and strength, and reducing fat. The right Tongkat Ali dosage may also bring about antimalarial and anticancer effects.
- This herb would also to enhance mood and decrease stress, reduce weight in both men and women by stabilizing hormones, increase energy and endurance, improve and maintain bone health, and maintain balanced sugar levels.
Horny Goat Weed
The Horny Goat Weed is a Traditional Chinese medicine commonly known with its Chinese name, Yin Yang Hou, and with its scientific name, Epimedium grandiflorum. It grows abundantly in the wild, especially in places with high altitudes, and is a native plant in China, Japan, and Korea.
- According to folklore, the Horny Goat Weed got its name when someone noticed that his flock of goat became sexually active when they ate the plant. The herb has been used for 2,000 years already and has been known to have aphrodisiac effects.
- The epimedium extract can enhance libido in men and women and can enhance sexual performance. It is also widely used to treat erectile dysfunction among men. Iicarin, a flavonoid, is responsible for these effects. Iicarin works to treat erectile dysfunction by inhibiting phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5), an enzyme that prevents blood from flowing through arteries in the penis. Inhibiting PDE5 would then enable blood to flow through the arteries and create an erection. This is the same principle behind the sildenafil or more commonly known as Viagra. The recommended icariin dosage would be around 200 to 500 milligrams of extract with 10% iicarin.
- Other issues that can be addressed by the Horny Goat Weed are joint pains, fatigue, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, hay fever, atherosclerosis, and brain injury. It also helps women by providing relief from PMS and menopause symptoms. This herb is sold as tea, tablet, capsule, or powder.
Moringa, scientifically known as Moringa Oleifera, is plant that is a native to Northern India, and has already been used as a medicinal herb as early as 2000 BC. The plant has spread from India to other parts of Asia, including China, Thailand, Pakistan, Nepal, and Philippines. It has also reached Egypt, Africa, and the Mediterranean. Its other names include Horseradish tree, Marango, Malunggay, Saijhan, Shevaga, and Sajna. This plant best grows in tropical countries, and thrives in dry, sandy soil.
- One of the uses for Moringa extract is as a sexual enhancer, or better yet, a cure for sexual dysfunction. It has been known that Moringa helps men with erectile dysfunction, and provides women with more sexual stimulation. Moringa cures erectile dysfunction by increasing the blood flow on the erectile tissue. This, then, increases the size and hardness of the erection.
- Moringa is also rich in vitamin D, which greatly helps in increasing testosterone levels. Aside from Vitamin D, it also has Zinc, vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Calcium, Potassium, Protein, and 46 antioxidants.
- Other Moringa benefits include treating constipation, headache, fever, heart disease, anemia, arthritis, liver disease, digestive disorders, skin ailments, and diabetes. It is also beneficial to brain health and cognitive function because of its high vitamin C and vitamin E content, which helps prevent neuron degeneration.
The use of herbs is the best option when it comes to increasing testosterone levels. Compared to testosterone replacement procedures, herbs are generally safer and cheaper. Another good thing about these herbs is that aside from their sexual benefits, they also provide medicinal values and can promote good holistic health.